Non-Insured Health Benefits Navigator

Southern Chiefs’ Organization Inc. has secured a Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Navigator for community members who are having difficulty accessing non-insured health benefits. The objective of the NIHB Navigator is to provide advocacy and support for SCO First Nation members, and make the NIHB program more user-friendly.

The NIHB Navigator is here to help:

  1. Provide support and advocacy for community workers in assisting their clients accessing NIHB
  2. Advocate with the federal government & health professionals on behalf of First Nations to resolve NIHB issues
  3. Support leadership in the work of advocating for policy change within NIHB
  4. Work to strengthen relationships with health providers, provincial & federal partners
  5. Improve awareness of the NIHB program & provide information to clients and service providers on the eligible benefit areas and how to address denials and appeals

Our NIHB Navigator is also available to make presentations (on zoom or in-person depending on COVID-19 restrictions) for organizations. To contact our Navigator about organizing a presentation for your organization, or for other questions, please contact us by phone at 204-946-1869, extension 120 or click here for email.


What is covered under NIHB?

The Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) program of Indigenous Services Canada provides clients (registered First Nations and recognized Inuit) with coverage for a range of health benefits, including prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications, dental and vision care, and medical supplies and equipment.

I just had a baby and want to know how they can access NIHB.

Children are now able to use the identification number of their eligible parents until they are 24 months of age.

My status card expired, can I still access my NIHB?

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, service providers should accept status cards or Temporary Confirmation of Registration Documents (TCRDs), with identification, even if the renewal or expiry date has passed, until offices re-open.

Am I able to view my past claims?

You can now access your claims, approvals and denials through the NEW Express Scripts website.  To register you will need your Status Card.

How do I apply for a Status Card for my child?

To apply for a Status Card for your child you must fill out the Secure Certificate of Indian Status (PDF) form.  You must also provide documentation stating you are the guardian of the child/dependent, photos of the child/dependent that meet the photo requirements, and photocopies of the front and back of your valid identification. Each photocopy needs to be signed by a guarantor if applying through mail.  Visit How to apply for a status card for more information.

What if I have private insurance that covers 80% of my dental costs will NIHB cover the other 20%?

Yes, NIHB would cover the other 20% in this case, as long as it is an eligible benefit and you have not exceeded the amounts available for the billing year.

Should I cancel my private insurance?

It is recommended to keep private insurance as it covers most items not covered by NIHB. For example, services such as physiotherapy, chiropractor and massage therapies are not benefits covered by the NIHB program

How can I access mental health services?

You are able to access 20 sessions per year through an eligible provider. You can call the provider directly through the list provided below or feel free to call our Navigator and they can assist on getting you set up with counselling services.

If you require more sessions with a mental health provider then the 22 hours you receive yearly, you can contact the NIHB mental health line – toll free number to request more at 1-800-665-8507. Please reach out to our NIHB Navigator with any questions as well.

Do dentists direct bill to NIHB?


Mental Health Services Fee-For-Service Providers (PDF) (Manitoba)

Health Canada NIHB

Express Scripts – NIHB Client Benefits

NIHB Client Reimbursement

National NIHB Navigators (PDF)

NIHB Dental Providers – Winnipeg – General Practitioners (PDF)

NIHB Dental Providers – Winnipeg – Various Specialties (PDF)

NIHB Dental Providers – southern Manitoba (outside of Winnipeg) – Various Specialties (PDF)

NIHB Navigator Program

Non-Insured Health Benefits Navigator Information poster
Non-Insured Health Benefits Navigator Information pamphlet