- This event has passed.
Youth Council Election
May 29, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
SCO believes in the power of First Nation youth and our Youth Council structure ensures full youth engagement in the work of SCO.
The Southern Chiefs’ Organization Youth Council’s term has come to an end, and the next council election will be held on Saturday, May 29, 2021 from 10:00 am – 3:00 pm. It is our hope that every community can select and encourage youth from each community to attend the virtual gathering online, for a chance to become an SCO Youth Council member and represent their nation!
Due to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions and realities, this year’s gathering will be held virtually via a Zoom conference and registration will be online this year.
One of the most important roles of the Youth Council is their collective vote at the table with all SCO Chiefs at the Chiefs-in-Summit meetings that take place throughout the year.
Youth Council members also receive an annual budget for training and programming to build their skills and have an opportunity to travel and learn from other leaders.
There are currently 12 Youth Council positions up for election:
- 2 Youth Chief positions
- 2 Southeast Resource Development Council positions:
- Berens River First Nation
- Black River First Nation
- Bloodvein First Nation
- Brokenhead Ojibway Nation
- Hollow Water First Nation
- Little Grand Rapids First Nation
- Pauingassi First Nation
- Poplar River First Nation
- 2 Dakota Ojibway Tribal Council positions:
- Birdtail Sioux First Nation
- Dakota Tipi First Nation
- Long Plain First Nation
- Roseau River Anishinabe First Nation
- Sandy Bay Ojibway First Nation
- Swan Lake First Nation
- Waywayseecappo First Nation
- 2 Interlake Reserves Tribal Council positions:
- Dauphin River First Nation
- Kinonjeoshtegon First Nation
- Lake Manitoba First Nation
- Little Saskatchewan First Nation
- Peguis First Nation
- Pinaymootang First Nation
- 2 West Region Tribal Council positions:
- Ebb and Flow First Nation
- Gambler First Nation
- Keeseekoowenin Ojibway First Nation
- O-Chi-Chak-Ko-Sipi First Nation
- Pine Creek First Nation
- Rolling River First Nation
- Skownan First Nation
- Tootinaowaziibeeng Treaty Reserve
- 2 Independent First Nation members of SCO positions
- Buffalo Point First Nation
- Dakota Plains First Nation
- Canupawakpa Dakota Nation
- Lake St. Martin First Nation
- Sagkeeng Anicinabe First Nation
The gathering will start at 10:00 am and include a day of programming with Elders, a panel from the outgoing Youth Council, a message from Grand Chief Jerry Daniels, a special guest speaker, door prizes, and a trivia game to win a brand-new HP laptop!
Click here to register!
For further details please contact the Youth Council Coordinator, Coty Zachariah, at email@example.com.
Want us to share your event? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org