POSITION TITLE: Youth Empowerment Program Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Justice Department, Winnipeg Head Office Winnipeg
REPORTS TO: Internal Director of Operations
TYPE: Full Time, Position to start January 17, 2019; Term ending in March 2021
Closing Date: 4:30 pm, December 7, 2018
Salary: Will depend on education and experience.
Under the direction of the Internal Director of Operations, the Youth Empowerment Program (YEP!) Coordinator will create and implement YEP! DVD Series for our SCO First Nation communities. The YEP! Coordinator will conduct focus groups, develop and Produce a DVD & Activity Series, and a Media Campaign that will be used as a diversion program for youth who are involved in the Restorative Justice Program.
The YEP Coordinator will work with youth who will participate in the program, find their identity, and begin their healing journey through enlightenment, personal stories of resiliency, and empowerment.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must produce a satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check.
- Must have a Valid Drivers Licence and access to a reliable vehicle with the ability to travel to our SCO First Nation Communities.
- Post secondary education in Social Services, and have a minimum of 2 years related experience.
- Knowledge in Anishinaabe and Dakota cultural practices and history.
- Knowledge of social media technology.
- Knowledge of Trauma Informed Care and healing.
- Must have knowledge of the justice system in particular, Victim Services.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office Applications in particular Publisher (Word and Outlook)
- Experience in creating cultural curriculums.
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Experience working within a First Nation organization and/or ability to speak/understand the Anishinaabe or Dakota language would be considered an asset.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Youth Empowerment Program Coordinator will create and implement a DVD and activity series. YEP! will be a crime prevention tool that local high schools can access to help students become empowered to finish high school and follow their dreams. The YEP will help youth initiate their healing journey and become healthy self-empowered individuals, take responsibility, and make amends to their victims, families, and community rather than getting involved in the justice system.
The YEP! Coordinator will work with the Internal Director of Operations and the Committee of Experts who will oversee the creation and implementation of the program.
Please submit a cover letter identifying your qualifications with a resume to the attention of:
Chantell Barker, Internal Director of Operations
Southern Chiefs’ Organization Inc.
1572 Dublin Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3E OL4
Please provide three (3) letters of reference from previous employers. Preference will be given to qualified individuals of First Nation ancestry who are members of an SCO community.
We thank all those who apply, and advise that only those considered for the position will be contacted. Late submissions will not be accepted.