The Southern Chiefs’ Organization (SCO) requires a full-time Finance Clerk. Reporting to the Comptroller, the incumbent is responsible for clerical accounting and administrative functions, including accounts payable, expense claims, payroll, pension and group benefits administration, and banking.
SCO is a growing and dynamic regional Indigenous organization that represents 34 Anishinaabe and Dakota Nations and more than 81,000 citizens in southern Manitoba. SCO was established 23 years ago by the Chiefs as an independent organization to protect, preserve, promote, and enhance First Nation peoples’ inherent rights, languages, customs, and traditions through the application and implementation of the spirit and intent of the Treaty-making process.
SCO provides competitive compensation and an excellent pension and benefits, as well as a positive work environment.
- Ensures proper supporting documentation for accounts payable transactions including proper delegated signing authorities for purchase commitments.
- Data entry of accounts payable information including coding for review and approval by Comptroller.
- Data entry of cheque information for review and approval by Comptroller.
- Obtaining signatures of delegated signing authorities for payments.
Expense Claims / Travel Claims
- Ensures expense claims comply with the Finance and Administrative policies, including per diem and rates for mileage, meals and accommodations, proper receipts, and delegated signing authorities, etc. for review and approval by Comptroller.
- Sets up payments online to staff for review and approval by Comptroller.
- Maintains payroll information by collection, calculating, and entering data.
- Updates payroll records by entering approved changes in personal tax information, pension and group benefits information, new salary scales, increments, position classification, employment status, secondments, cost centers, leave and overtime banks, severance, etc.
- Prepares employee payroll reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, source deductions, leave, pension and group benefits, etc.
- Prepares source deduction remittances to Canada Revenue Agency for review and approval by Comptroller.
- Resolves payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Sets up payments online for payroll deposits to employees and source deductions to CRA for review and approval by Comptroller.
- Prepares monthly remittance for pension and benefits for review and approval by Comptroller.
- Makes all deposits.
- Sets up payments online for payroll, source deductions, expense claims, agency funding and contractors.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School graduate/Diploma-Certificate in Accounting and/or equivalent experience.
- Several years’ experience providing administrative and accounting support in a high pressure, fast paced and confidential environment.
- Experience with and knowledge of accounting, administrative, personnel, and payroll policies and procedures.
- Experience in compilation of confidential documents, information, and records management.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including effective team player.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Extensive experience and proficiency in QuickBooks, SAGE, Payworks, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated time management skills to effectively work independently.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Clear Children and Adult Abuse Registry Check.
- Must have a valid Manitoba Driver’s License and reliable vehicle as travel will be required.
- All successful candidates must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATION IS: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, at 4:30 PM CST
Please submit cover letter, resume, and three work related references to:
Southern Chiefs’ Organization
1572 Dublin Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0L4
Fax: (204) 946-1869 | firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note resumes without a cover letter will not be considered complete*
Preference will be given to qualified First Nation candidates
Please self-identify as First Nations in your cover letter
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected will be contacted for further consideration.