POSITION TITLE: Healing Circles Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Justice Department, Winnipeg Head Office
REPORTS TO: Community Justice Development Coordinator and Director of Operations
TYPE: Full Time, Term ending in March 2020
Closing Date: August 17, 2018
Salary: Will depend on education and experience.
Under the direction of the Community Justice Development Coordinator, the Healing Circles Coordinator (HCC) will create and implement the Community Healing Program for our SCO First Nation communities. The HCC will create a curriculum and implement 20 healing circles that will provide support and healing for survivors, families, and the communities of the Missing and Murdered Women and girls (MMIWG) as well as victims of crime. The HCC will be familiar with MMIWG, have knowledge of trauma informed care, traditional ceremonies, First Nation history, and facilitation and mediation skills.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must produce a satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check.
- Must have a Valid Drivers Licence and access to a reliable vehicle with the ability to travel to our SCO First Nation Communities.
- Post secondary education in Social Services, and have a minimum of 2 years related experience.
- Knowledge in Anishinaabe and Dakota cultural practices and history.
- Knowledge of Trauma Informed Care and healing.
- Must have knowledge of the justice system in particular, Victim Services.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office Applications (Word and Outlook)
- Experience in creating cultural curriculums.
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Experience working within a First Nation organization and/or ability to speak/understand the Anishinaabe or Dakota language would be considered an asset.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Healing Circles Coordinator will create a Healing Program Curriculum in collaboration with the Community Justice Development Coordinator, Elders, and other Stakeholders and implement the curriculum in 20 of our First Nation Communities. The Coordinator will meet with Chief and Council to identify a respected community member who can facilitate the circles and an Elder who will provide wisdom and knowledge to the participants. The communities will have the support and guidance of the coordinator to create and implement healthy and safe healing circles. The HCC will seek out partnerships with local resources whom have areas of expertise in regards to healing that can participate as guests, sponsors, and/or support people throughout the year for the victims.
Please submit a cover letter identifying your qualifications with a resume to the attention of:
Jolene Mercer, Director of Operations
Southern Chiefs’ Organization Inc.
1572 Dublin Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3E OL4
Please provide three (3) letters of reference from previous employers. Preference will be given to qualified individuals of First Nation ancestry who are members of an SCO community.
We thank all those who apply, and advise that only those considered for the position will be contacted. Late submissions will not be accepted.