Southern Chiefs’ Organization
Southern Chiefs’ Organization (SCO) requires a Non-Insured Health Benefits Navigator for a term position until March 31, 2018. The selected individual will be required to start immediately.
MAIN FUNCTION: the Health Benefits Navigator at SCO will provide assistance to eligible Southern First Nations members who are experiencing difficulties accessing the Non-Insured Health Benefits Program (NIHB) or relevant provincial programs and services.
- Minimum relevant Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Native Studies, health related or relevant discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of three years working in the health care field
- Preparing written summaries and recommendations on complex health issues
- Writing of reports, briefing notes and speaking notes
- Experience working with First Nations
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of policy and issues relating specifically to First Nations Health Services and the NIHB Program is preferred
- Must be innovative and decisive with high-level organizational and analytical skills
- Training and proficiency in the use of computer programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Ability to analyze information, think strategically and develop creative and innovative solutions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, staff and public relations
- Ability to build upon new and existing relationships with stakeholders
- Ability to speak one of the Southern First Nations dialect is an asset
- Suitable SCO member First Nation candidates will be given preference
- Serving as a contact for communities and individuals to facilitate the access to the Non Insured Health Benefit Program
- Providing support for members to address NIHB denials and appeals
- Collaborating with NIHB regional office on projects, programs or any initiatives that would improve awareness and access to the NIHB Program
- Partnering with First Nation health services, organizations and health service providers in order to assist members to navigate the NIHB Program on related benefits access
- Promoting understanding of the role of the navigator among communities
- Maintaining confidentiality of all members and their records
- Preparing reports as required to both program funding and SCO
- Provide patient advocacy
- Maintain a data base on member participation
Applicant must be able to travel, have valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle. In addition, the person must be able to work flexible hours to meet the needs of the position.
**Criminal Record Check required for successful applicant**
Salary based on qualifications and experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATION IS Friday, July 28, 2017
Please submit cover letter clearly demonstrating qualifications in relation to the position, current resume & three (3) work related references to:
Director of Operations
Southern Chiefs’ Organization
1572 Dublin Avenue
Fax: (204) 946-1871
Re: NIHB Navigator
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected will be contacted for further consideration. Late submissions will not be accepted.