Southern Chiefs’ Organization requires a Community Justice Worker for a full time position in the Sandy Bay First Nations area. The position will be located in Sandy Bay First Nation. This position reports to the Southern Chiefs’ Organization’s Community Justice Development Coordinator.
- Education and experience in the justice field an asset; or Post-Secondary degree in Native Studies, Criminology, Conflict Resolution Studies or relevant combination of education and experience.
- Experience in developing, delivering and coordinating community programs.
- Experience working with First Nations.
- Knowledge of Restorative Justice, mediation services, and related issues.
- Possess analytical, decision-making and planning skills.
- Must possess strong computer, written and oral communication skills.
- Must possess strong initiative and follow-up
- Must possess knowledge of MS Office, Outlook and office equipment.
- Knowledge of First Nation culture, values and traditions.
- Must possess a valid Class V Manitoba Driver’s License with access to reliable vehicle.
- Provide Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with Sandy Bay First Nation on diversion files under the Restorative Justice Program.
- Attend court to provide input and assist in screening cases.
- Update Crown and Police with status/completion of cases including diversions.
- Be responsible and manage pre and post charge referrals.
- Recruit and retain reliable and responsible Community Justice Committee members in the First Nation.
- Maintain record keeping for all cases including follow-up work.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all partners.
- Ensure confidentiality and conflicts of interest are addressed respecting Community Justice Committee members.
- Provide monthly, quarterly and annual reports to Community Justice Development Coordinator and provide updates Chief and Council and First Nation members on restorative justice matters.
CLOSING DATE IS Friday January 18, 2019.
Submit your application including resume and at least two professional references to:
Southern Chiefs’ Organization
1572 Dublin Avenue
Fax: (204) 946-1871
Re: Community Justice Worker- Sandy Bay
We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Preference will be given to qualified members of the listed First Nations. Please self-declare.